The following is a post by Dr David Pascoe BVSc PhD OVH Repro, originally posted on facebook, reproduced here with permission. Dr Pascoe, who runs a veterinary clinic in Oakey, Queensland, has been successfully exposing the political and corporate greed and corruption behind the destruction and sale of our farmlands for quite some time now.
1. That the media had little or no idea what really happened on Saturday night – they knew as much as a flock of galahs. Their convenient fall-back position was to blame it on Abbott – a theme that came directly out of the Canberra Press Gallery – “so it must be right”.
The media have no clue about the real issues that affected Qld and what really drove the rage of the election. The truth is that both the state and national media have never shown either the spine nor the stomach to expose it.
The role of the Courier Mail and the Sunday mail in desperately trying to protect the LNP and keep them in power was shameless – and needs to be publicly condemned.
2. That Tony Abbot is the real cause for the rout in the Qld election is completely ludicrous : Abbott hardly had a clue what was really going on in Qld, no matter how many times it has been warned to him . In July last year, for instance, in a speech at the LNP State Conference he stood up and called Newman “’a great leader”:
3. That Bruce McIvor, President of the LNP and a primary architect of the whole election disaster told the media that he “’feels for the families of the politicians”. So why didn’t the apparently compassionate Mr McIvor have anything to say about the families of farmers being terrorized off their farms by miners and banks? Did he feel for them the same way? Or was that reserved for the comfortably off families of politicians because they were known to him?
4. That Newman shamelessly pork barrelled his own electorate – the suggestion is between $16 to 24 million – while the rest of Queensland was begging to have potholes filled in their streets. His matter was constantly abrasive, abusive and arrogant. Right across Qld, people reported what they called ‘The Hitler factor”- when ordinary working people struggled to express their rage and enunciate the right word to describe Newman. Inevitably, the word ‘Hitler’ was repeated over and over. Ordinary people felt as if they had no say, that they didn’t matter.
5. That Newman – in his farewell speech – only showed a glimpse of emotion when he mentioned his police protection detail. Why? Did he explain that this “police protection detail” consisted not of one or two police but rather, he was surrounded by several police at all times? Why did he really need so many? And why did he suddenly feign surprise that the public didn’t like him?
6. That in every community – right across Queensland – someone knew about something they believed to be corrupt. These cases were not linked. They were not discussed. The electorates were not linked – but the rage and the size of the swing was consistent. This is what is called ‘uniform’- even if the political experts don’t understand it themselves.
7. That the Party system is clearly controlled by the Corporates, the Unions and big donors. The party system is dedicated to destroying any emergence of quality Independents. They were not able to get a story in a local paper: they simply refused to publish them. Was this an editorial decision? So who controls the editor? Who owns the newspaper? What is the real relationship between the corporate owners and the political parties?
8. That the LNP targeted certain seats and shamelessly spent from their massive secret stash to literally pulverise their opponents. One of their primary targets was Dr Alex Douglas (Independent Gaven), a man of great integrity and ability who knew where many of the LNP skeletons were buried. Some reports estimate that the party spent close on a million dollars in spam, phone calls, texts and advertising to smash the vote of Douglas – and that was only in the last few days before the polls.
Other targets included the seat of Lockyer – where the belligerent and abusive Ian Rickuss was re-elected – and Toowoomba North – where ‘Steady Eddie” Trevor Watts was elected – and Nicklin – where they failed to destroy Peter Wellington.
9. That Deb Frecklington managed to increase her vote in Nanango – which proves the seductive power of a charming liar. While the entire nation now understands what really went on with New Hope State Three and the massive cash donations paid to the LNP, Frecklington nonetheless still managed to convince a trusting country community that she was the one left smelling of roses.
Now she has lost both the mentoring of Newman – and the pleasures of being in Government – and so her own particular Pollyanna story is about to change.
10. That Rob Katter and Shane Knuth still managed to win massive majorities in traditional Labor electorates – such as Mt Isa – or formerly rural electorates such as Dalrymple that are now dominated by large Labor communities such as Moranbah – is amazing testament to their performance and credibility .
11. That both political parties completely underestimated the power of social media and were unable to shut down its freedom of speech. The suggestion that truth could be told from an entirely different quarter caught them all flat-footed: the LNP had the Murdoch Media – Courier Mail and the Sunday Mail – all stitched up, as they did the APN regional newspapers (the cheer squad for the mining industry because of their reliance on advertising) as well as Channel 7 and Channel 9 (in particular).
12.. That the State of Queensland is angry, dislocated – and the economy is up the creek. Mining has NOT been the saviour that the Queensland people were promised – instead, it has destroyed prime farm land and precious water resources. It has destroyed farmers, families and entire communities. And the voters have responded accordingly.